[UA-discuss] Universal Acceptance and UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)

Mark W. Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Mon Aug 19 19:56:04 UTC 2019

Thank you for bringing this to the UA list, Mark S.

I will paste below the answers I gave on the DC-DNSI list, just to get a
conversation started. Sorry for cross-posting for those that already saw
them.

[Is UA-readiness a component or aspect of “resilient infrastructure”?
If yes, how?  If no, why not?]
One of the reasons why the Internet did not fragment back in the late
2000s was because ICANN expedited the implementation of IDNs at the top
level in what became known as the "IDN ccTLD Fast Track". This gesture
showed the world that there was interest in making the DNS inclusive of
all peoples. We need to remember that a single transnational DNS is a
voluntary decision, that any country can step out of if they decide to.
Therefore, promoting inclusion is more than a matter of good will, it is
part and parcel of a resilient infrastructure.

[Does UA-readiness promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization?
If yes, how?  If no, why not?]
I do not see a strong relation here.

[Does UA-readiness foster innovation? If yes, how?  If no, why not?]
It definitely does. As the Internet becomes bigger and reaches farther,
the saturation of the Namespace becomes a real issue which combines with
cybersquatting to create a complex environment for innovation. This
makes a more proactive strategy necessary to keep the market strong and
accessible. Being able to support the DNS in more languages and
extensions is a measure that furthers innovation.

[Would UA-readiness significantly increase access to information and
communications technology? If yes, how?  If no, why not?]
I wouldn't say it increases access, but it makes that access more
natural, turning the Internet experience into something more seamless to
everyone.

Best,
--
Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]
In partnership with AR-TARC and the Brazilian Association of Software