[UA-discuss] Proposal: Handling Numbering of the UASG Documents

Michael Casadevall michael at casadevall.pro
Tue Jan 8 15:03:16 UTC 2019

So currently, the UASG publishes various documents such as UASG 0005 and
0007 and occasionally updates these documents to reflect best current
practices. For example, the UA Quick Guide was on Version 9 before it
was removed for revision.

One thing I'm concerned on is that it's not clear that a document has
been updated, nor what has changed from version to version. Furthermore,
when dealing with old discussions, a document may have changed from a
message or posted. During the F2F, I raised the issue that it may be
worthwhile to change the numbering and management of UASG documentation
to model it around the RFC/IETF where a document is static once
published (with errata linked), and is obsoleted/superseded by future
documents.

This aids in help keeping track of what document is "best current
practice", as well as making it clear what has changed from version to
version. For example, when UASG 5/7 is revised, we publish them under
new numbers, and the old versions are archived with a clear note that
they've been obsoleted by these new versions of the doucments.

This would make it easy to keep up with current best practices, while
making it easy to look at a document when referencing old conversations
and changes over time.

Anyone have thoughts on making this change?
Michael