[UA-discuss] Proposal: Handling Numbering of the UASG Documents

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Jan 8 20:54:02 UTC 2019

UA Colleagues:

I think the problem Michael points out is a real one, and worthy of
attention.

On 2019-01-08 07:03, Michael Casadevall wrote:
> So currently, the UASG publishes various documents such as UASG 0005 and
> 0007 and occasionally updates these documents to reflect best current
> practices. For example, the UA Quick Guide was on Version 9 before it
> was removed for revision.
>
> One thing I'm concerned on is that it's not clear that a document has
> been updated, nor what has changed from version to version. Furthermore,
> when dealing with old discussions, a document may have changed from a
> message or posted....
Michael proposes one alternative,
> …to change the numbering and management of UASG documentation
> to model it around the RFC/IETF where a document is static once
> published (with errata linked), and is obsoleted/superseded by future
> documents.…

Another alternative is to keep the document number unchanged, but to
have a clearly-defined revision date for each version of a document, and
to always cite a revision date along with the document number. So, we
would say "UASG012 Email Address Internationalization (EAI): A Technical
Overview (v 2018-05-12)" instead of "UASG012" or "Email Address
Internationalization (EAI): A Technical Overview".

Whichever we do, I believe we should set editorial standards that each
document has a) document title, b) UASG number, and c) revision date
clearly on the front cover and in the file name of each document issued.
Looking through some existing documents, we seem to be inconsistent
about this. It makes documents harder to find and harder to cite.

I believe we should also define standard, persistent URLs for each
document, something like:

http://uasg.tech/document/uasg012/email_address_internationalization_EAI_a_technical_overview/2018-05-12/

and ensure that visiting such a URL with a web browser returns either
the document file itself, or a page describing the document and allowing
one to download it.  I find it hard to put links to UASG documents into
presentations, because it's difficult to figure out which URL to use,
and how much to trust it to stay usable over time.

Best regard,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953