[UA-discuss] RETWEET REQUEST: IDN/UA Blog

Tex textexin at xencraft.com
Wed Jan 9 20:49:43 UTC 2019

Gwen,

Thanks for the notice. Also thanks to Jian-Chuan Zhang for writing the article.

As an activity report, the blog is fine. However, for the purpose of evangelism and as something that I might promote on social media, it is a bit of a nothing burger.

A few suggestions:

There should be a few examples of Chinese domains.

Perhaps a mention of the number of languages used in China and some points as to how this makes the net more accessible to Chinese speakers that do not speak English or for whom ASCII characters are unfamiliar and confusing.

Also a mention of the benefit to Chinese organizations extending their reach and enhancing their brand.

Is there a Chinese celebrity that has a Chinese domain name? If not we should encourage one or even “gift” one to whoever the Chinese Kardashian is (or a  Xi Jinping domain to get the attention and support of the government…)

Perhaps we should encourage celebrity domains for several countries/languages….

Will the blog be available in Chinese? I didn’t see a language selector on the page. A group looking to expand language support should have multilingual announcements.

To get attention on twitter, it helps if the article had an attention drawing caption. We compete for mindshare against all the “I broke the internet headings”. At least something less dry like “Chinese domain names go on the road”.

Or “China making the internet Chinese” which might get media attention.

UASG might get more attention to the resources it offers if it had a slogan that was memorable and included on all our announcements, perhaps along with a nice image.

" Universal Acceptance Steering Group” and UASG are not that memorable and so harder for people to search for when they want or need our information and resources.

Something like “making the net speak everyone’s language”, “an internet for everyone”, “Our domain is the world”….

Needs work but you get the idea.

As evangelists we should be using messaging that stimulates interest. The ICANN blog might not be the place for a marketing piece, but the UASG site could host a more promotional piece.

I hope that helps.

Tex