[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] Request for review: Report on Evaluation of Websites for Acceptance of E-mail Addresses, 2019

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Jul 12 19:06:26 UTC 2019

> Please find attached a recent study undertaken on the request of UASG on the Global Evaluation of Websites for Acceptance of E-mail Addresses 2019, for your review and feedback.

As I understand it, the tests checked whether a web form accepted an
address, but it didn't check whether the site could actually send mail to
that address.  There's a lot of places where EAI mail can fail between the
browser and the recipient's MTA, so the report should make it clear that
the percentages reported are an upper bound, with the actual numbers
likely being somewhat less.

With respect to the HTML5 pattern for e-mail addresses, I have talked to
people in WHATWG about it.  That pattern is correct for ASCII addresses
and it's not going to change to an EAI pattern because that would lead to
web sites with ASCII mail systems accepting addresses to which they can't
send mail.  They would be open to adding a new "eaimail" input type that
accepts EAI addresses, to allow an easy upgrade when sites have EAI
capable back ends.

Nothing is going to happen in WHATWG until one of their large members says
they'll implement it which hasn't happened.  I've made some inquiries and
gotten polite responses, but I can't do much more since I have no funding.

Regards,