[UA-discuss] Request for review: Report on Evaluation of Websites for Acceptance of E-mail Addresses, 2019

Don Hollander don.hollander at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 20:04:03 UTC 2019

Thanks Mark for finally getting this available.

I’m assuming that someone will perform a copy editing effort on the document to address grammar and punctuation and such, so I won’t worry about that.  A better structure and reordering some sections will be useful I think.

Does the report show the actual email addresses that you used?

Did you find any correlation between the acceptance of IDN or EAI addresses and the domain email server’s EAI capability?  John Levine ran some analysis on the websites you tested some months ago.

Have you done a direct comparison between the domains that are common between the 2017 and the 2019 studies to see if progress have been made between the two dates?  That would show whether progress had actually been made rather than just some statistical noise.

When we first discussed this second test the plan was for the ICANN GSC team to start reaching out to those websites that were NOT UA Ready and provide direct advice to them.   Toward that end, it will be helpful to provide Seda et al with the list of sites tested and the results.  (Or the UASG could crowdsource this activity – with 400+ subscribers, if each took just four websites the outreach could be done in a day)

I would like a better understanding of “An “already registered” e-mail message was displayed3.”

I find it interesting that there were some malware sites in the Alexa top 1000.  Not a UA issue, but perhaps an Alexa issue.