[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] Request for review: Report on Evaluation of Websites for Acceptance of E-mail Addresses, 2019

Wendy Seltzer wseltzer at w3.org
Fri Jul 12 20:23:39 UTC 2019

On 7/12/19 16:20, John R. Levine wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>> With respect to the HTML5 pattern for e-mail addresses, I have talked
>>> to people in WHATWG about it.  That pattern is correct for ASCII
>>> addresses and it's not going to change to an EAI pattern because that
>>> would lead to web sites with ASCII mail systems accepting addresses
>>> to which they can't send mail.  They would be open to adding a new
>>> "eaimail" input type that accepts EAI addresses, to allow an easy
>>> upgrade when sites have EAI capable back ends.
>>>
>>> Nothing is going to happen in WHATWG until one of their large members
>>> says they'll implement it which hasn't happened.  I've made some
>>> inquiries and gotten polite responses, but I can't do much more since
>>> I have no funding.
>>
>> from
>> https://w3c.github.io/test-results/html53/implementation-report.html,
>> done back in september, Firefox seems to support, while others were
>> not tested.
>
> Ah, that is as we say a can of worms.
>
> The actual HTML spec that major browser vendors implement is the WHATWG
> living standard.  W3C copies that spec verbatim into their own standard,
> except that they make some incompatible changes.  WHATWG has repeatedly
> asked W3C not to do that, but W3C persists.

Happily, W3C and WHATWG have agreed that the WHATWG living standards
should be authoritative, and that W3C will no longer publish a
conflicting document.

https://www.w3.org/blog/2019/05/w3c-and-whatwg-to-work-together-to-advance-the-open-web-platform/

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wseltzer at w3.org +1.617.715.4883 (office)
Strategy Lead, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)