[UA-discuss] Some Recommendations in Working Groups

richard nims richnims at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 11:06:54 UTC 2019

Hello, everyone.

Bessie, we all have volunteered to contribute in few working groups, I
extant some recommendations in my individual capacity. In today’s
environment, standards play a critical role in effective working of any
working groups. Thus responsibility for how a standard evolves begins in
our working group as-well. I recommend we establish the necessary framework
for a sound standardization process. For groups i have applied for i.e. EAI
and Technology working group  I have below recommendations:

*Fundamental Principles of Operation*

For the development of standards, openness and due process are mandatory.
Openness means that any person who has, or could be reasonably expected to
have, a direct and material interest, and who meets the requirements of
these procedures has a right to participate by:

a) Attending working group meetings

b) Becoming a member of the working group

c) Expressing a position for chair of working group and its basis,

Due process is based upon equity and fair play. The standards development
process should strive to have both a balance of interests and not be
dominated by any single interest category.

*Election of Chair of working group: *The UASG administrative group must get
elections done for every working group. The interested members of the
working group must file self-nomination or any member of working group
should nominate, fundamentally that individual member nominated shall not
be on any position in UA administrative group or any other working groups
at the same time. Members of the working group should only be allowed to
cast the vote and select chair of working group.

*Working Group: *Working group member should be individual. Each member is
expected to attend meetings. We must record attendance at meetings via
teleconferencing and/or electronic means, e.g., Internet conferencing,
shall count towards the attendance requirements apart from F2F meeting
during ICANN or other events.

*Responsibilities of Working Group: *

Set goals and deadlines and adhere to them

Prioritize work to best serve the group and its goals

Get the materials available for community related to working of group

Maintain lists of unresolved issues, action items, and assignments.

The working group will engage in a fact-finding effort of the perceived
problems raised in there space and what are the possible solutions, and
what are the pros and cons relating these possible solutions. What
activities are actually underway, how extensive are they. The Working Group
can circulated surveys to gather facts about the technical and issues
raised by services currently being provided in there space.

Kind wishes

Richard Nims