[UA-discuss] RDAP

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Mar 7 06:00:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 09:17:32AM +0900, Jothan Frakes wrote:
> Yes it is designed into the protocol and in a perfect world that would mean
> yes ir is covered.

That is certainly not what I was suggesting.

> We should realize that there is a fast cycle on things being put in place
> and deployed.

Fast?  I'm sorry, but we designed this protocol _years and years_ ago.
ICANN did nothing.

> Notwithstanding what Andrew said about it being potentially included, I
> think assuming RDAP will fix storage of Unicode for UA may not be correct
> unless explicitly stated by a given implementation.

I think the above betrays a misunderstanding of the
internationalization support in the wire format.  See section 9 of RFC
7480 and section 12.1 of RFC 7483.  Regardless of how you store things
in the back end, you need to be able to use UTF-8 on the wire.  If the
point is that maybe your back end can't store everything expressible
by UTF-8, then it turns out your repository can't actually store all
the stuff you have registered.

If on the other hand the problem is that you're storing something from
someone _else's_ repository, why are you doing that?  Store a referral.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com