[UA-discuss] GNSO requested deferral of IDN Guidelines 4.0 Vote - CPH / Registrants impact

Jothan Frakes jothan at jothan.com
Sat May 11 00:31:17 UTC 2019

[I am speaking entirely in my personal capacity here and the forwarded
email]

The letter does exist, and it would seem it was considered.  Rather than
pivot the point in that direction, what about the points I raise?  These
should be in focus.

The outcome in the time since my original email was a deferal, and current
procedural step is a GNSO Council review with a small group of interested
parties to determine if this is something that bypassed and needs a PDP,
and under contemplation are different options forward such as splitting
cc/g variant top level matters.

The concern I was voicing was entirely about backward compatibility -
focused mostly about second level changes that may break or invalidate
legacy innovators registrations.

Standards evolution needs to have backward compatibility.  New standards
have to ensure some manner to continue retroactive support for prior
standards.

Why?  Ĺet us be painfully self-authentic about IDN here... it holds
potential, and can do big things, but the very pragmatic truth is that it
requires developers to do extra stuff to make it work.

Introducing IDN support into project development is typically not a
priority when weighed against other projects or features within most
development teams.  It adds scope and often needs specialized expertise,
neither of which reduce cost.

If we are telling developers and registrants to take the time, money, etc.
to prioritize IN and build something using today's standard... it needs to
be sonething there is a reasonable degree of confidence in.

Here is an example. IDNA2003 vs IDNA2008 changed variant support and it
rendered some changes that developers still lament.

If you are someone who went to embrace IDN, with all of its development
overheads I describe, and in 2003 registered a perfectly valid registration
and started using it, and 5 years later in 2008 you wanted to register (say
for brand protection purposes in this example) that string, it may or may
not be possible.

The standard evolution may have meant it became a variant of another string
or worse was rendered invalid.  That is a bad experience.

In the case that the name was impacted, that perfectly valid registration
from 2003 becomes harder and harder to use due to development being focused
upon 2008's standard.

We certainly learn as we go, and in parallel the Unicode Standard, security
concerns, browsers, ca, other things evolve over time.

Invalidating a registration or otherwise failing to provide reliability and
stability completely undermines institutional confidence.

As we evolve the standards, if we fail to support those who innovate as we
evolve, do we undermine confidence?

 Is it a reasonable expectation that those who would take on that extra
overhead of IDN adoption do so where we are providing evidence of later
potentially breaking it?

Let's be honest, they will likely just find lower risk areas to focus their
resources and skip it.

-J