[UA-discuss] Ideas for engagement with stakeholders in Germany

Mark W. Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Sun Nov 24 03:22:09 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I exchanged a few messages with Lars earlier this year, and would like
to present below some points he raised that should be useful both for
the IGF next week and looking towards ICANN meeting C next year, being
tailored towards German stakeholders. In my view, we can aim to always
try gathering such regional insights moving forward to optimize our
engagement.

*Special characters:* Eszett (ß) and Umlaut (ü) have fallback options by
default:

  * Eszett becomes "ss".
  * Capital Eszett (ẞ) has only recently been introduced officially to
    the language, meaning that anything in capital letters used to be
    written using "SS" even on the press.
  * Umlaut characters (ä, ö, ü) become "ae", "oe", "ue".

*gTLDs*

  * Fallback: the popular cityTLD for "Köln" is run under ".koeln" and
    ".cologne" to avoid the Umlaut.
  * ".berlin" is a popular gTLD and is in active use for varied
    purposes, including local businesses.
  * Other relevant gTLDs: ".hamburg", ".bayern", ".ruhr", ".nrw" and
    ".saarland".

Hopefully this can help us engage better. Safe journeys to all of those
traveling to the IGF!

Regards,

--
Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]
In partnership with AR-TARC and the Brazilian Association of Software Companies (ABES)