[UA-discuss] Ideas for engagement with stakeholders in Germany

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 24 20:52:21 UTC 2019

What is the context of this discussion of Latin characters?

Is it to discuss recommended practice or to describe actual practice?

Actual practice is not easy to determine, because even where Idntables
were filed by registries (in the IANA repository), they don't often
provide the complete story. (Other policies apply as well).
Nevertheless, at least some registries apply minimal restrictions.

For the Root Zone, the Latin Generation Panel is working on a proposed
set of Label Generation Rules. It's key features are:

(1) precomposed letters are limited to those in use in everyday modern
orthographies
(2) combining marks are limited to the actual combinations used in the
same orthographies
(3) because NFC, there's no duplication between (1) and (2).

(4) the sharp s is allowed, but made a variant of "ss".
      Due to the fact that Swiss, when writing German will only use "ss";
      the variant is allocatable if "ß" is registered, allowing one
entity to control
      both variants. That takes care of issues around fall-back use.

(5) i with and without dot may be defined as variants

(6) many cross-script variants are defined to safely allow
      Greek, Cyrillic and Armenian labels to coexist with Latin ones in
the Root.

(7) the Catalan middle dot is not allowed.

(8) Ducth ij and any other cases of single code points for digraph
letters are not allowed.

Something like that approach could serve as a basis for "best practice"
prescriptions for other zones, if that's something that is relevant in
the UA context.

However, the UASG would not seem the appropriate venue to duplicate the
full analysis of the Latin script undertaken by the Latin Generation
Panel. That panel spent several years on this project and analyzed over
200 orthographies.

A./

PS: a public version of the proposed Latin Root Zone LGR is expected
early next year for those of you who would like to review that document
and its conclusions.