[UA-discuss] [EXTERNAL] Re: Ideas for engagement with stakeholders in Germany

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Mon Nov 25 19:02:54 UTC 2019

On 11/25/2019 4:22 AM, Maxim Alzoba wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> the topic is quite complex one (from the operational and legal
> perspective),
> we should not invent rights not existing in the real world (and we
> should not forget abut rights of the Registrants).
>
> Potentially some variants of the same word might be in the hands of
> different rightful registrants, and who is going to decide
> which one wins?

With variants you have the following issues:

(1) if they are imposed after the fact, you'll need to have some policy
for grandfathering

That's why, for the root zone, we categorically ruled out, for example,
any variants (even implied by transitivity) between ASCII code points.
And we test all proposed LGRs against delegated TLDs.

(2) if they are allocatable, you have issues with multiplicity.

A longer label may have several code points with variants, which naively
would lead to huge multiplicities. That's why, in the root zone, we go
to some lengths defining allocatable (code point) variants so that
allocatable variant labels are limited to a very small number; usually
by requiring all variants to be of the same type (e.g. all
traditional/all simplified for Chinese).

(3) if they are allocatable, you have issues with predictability.

Not all applicants want all possible allocatable variants actually
delegated. That's why, in the root zone, we've tried to limit
allocatable variants to contexts where both users and applicants clearly
understand their scope (e.g. Chinese simplified and traditional).

(4) if they are blocked variants, they need to be full equivalents, not
merely similar

Otherwise, transitivity will kill you. Any variant of a code point needs
to also be a variant of all the other variants for that code point
(transitivity). If variants are merely similar, you quickly get
"variants" between dissimilar code points. That's why, in the root zone,
we are limiting variants to cases where code points are accepted as
fully equivalent.

(5) if you base variant definition on a limited sample of languages,
you'll be surprised

What works in a limited context may create issues if you plan on
allowing labels in other scripts or other languages in the same zone.
That's why, in the root zone, we investigated over 200 writing systems
for the Latin script, for example.

(6) if you don't define certain allocatable variants, you'll run into
usability issues

Typically the case where users of different regions share a script
(and/or language) but regional conventions conflict. For example the
case in Arabic, where local keyboards may have a look-alike character,
so if you can't offer both versions of your label, you cannot reach some
communities. That's why, in the root zone, we have allocatable variant
definitions for Arabic, Chinese, and for the case of sharp-s/ss, for
example.

(7) if you don't have blocked variants, you can't take obvious issues
"off the table"

There are a surprising number of letters (or for the second level, also
digits) that have exact (intentional) look-alikes in Unicode. (They are
considered different for other reasons than appearance, for example they
belong to different scripts, have different case pairings, etc). These
cases are quite obvious equivalences and can, and should be taken off
the table, up front and mechanically. That's why, in the root zone, we
ensure that such cases become blocked variants.

Now, why were we discussing this again?

A./