[UA-discuss] Suggested topics for a tutorial on Universal Acceptance?

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Tue Apr 28 00:09:35 UTC 2020

Sorry for the delayed response.

Things I always include in my presentations are concept that are more
specific to us than other industry players. One example is A-Labels vs.
U-Labels and the challenges around punycode. Talking about the early
embracing of IDNs by ccTLDs is also relevant. Recent documents such as
UASG025 and 026 also offer a lot of data that can be formatted to your
presentation.

Best,

On 04/14/2020 02:12, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> UA Colleagues:
>
> My (other) proposal was accepted, and I will be doing a tutorial on
> Universal Acceptance for the 44th Internationalisation and Unicode
> Conference <https://www.unicodeconference.org/>, on October 14–16,
> 2020. I would appreciate suggestions from any of you about what UA
> topics are effective with this kind of audience. If you have slides or
> demo scripts which I can re-use, that is even better.
>
> Here is what I know about what the Conference expects from me:
>
> *Audience*: small, likely 10-40 people in this tutorial, maybe 200-300
> people total in the conference. But they are a top-class group of
> experts in internationalisation, localisation, fonts, and language.
> Attendees include the architects and implementers of language support
> from major (US) tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google,
> Facebook, Netflix, as well as expert academics. Some may have designed
> the specs for IDNs and EAI. They might not know the term "Universal
> Acceptance" yet (though once we are successful in our UASG efforts,
> they all will). But once they know the term, they will be 100% in
> favour. We don't need to spend much effort persuading them.
>
> *Purpose*: the tutorials are longer sessions on the first day of the
> conference. They are intended to take someone who knows the general
> subject of internationalisation and Unicode, and give them enough
> background and explanation that they can understand the cutting-edge
> topics in the remaining conference sessions.
>
> *Time*: 90 minutes.
>
> *Format*: usually a lecture in a meeting room, with no webcast and no
> remote participation. Slides projected onto a screen. Most
> participants will have their own laptops and be comfortable using
> them, so a participation exercise would be a great way to wake
> everyone up. However, given the COVID-19 pandemic, it is possible the
> whole conference will shift to video participation from home. Or it
> might be cancelled altogether. It's really hard to predict.
>
> *Possible Topics*
>
>   * Context: the next one billion Internet users, and universal acceptance
>   * Exercise: give people a list of TLDs, ask them to find out: how
>     may TLDs? How many have xn-- prefix? What is longest TLD? etc.
>   * The five key tasks of Universal Acceptance: Accept, Validate,
>     Store, Process, Display. (Do these really resonate? Do we still
>     talk about them?)
>   * Explain IDNA, how it builds on ASCII-only DNS. U-labels and
>     A-labels. Punycode.
>   * Deep dive on Punycode algorithm, so they really understand how it
>     works (but may not have time for this).
>   * Guidance for making your apps IDNA compatible. How to use UASG
>     test cases to test your app.
>   * DNS Label generation rules (LGR), and using them to build your own
>     policy on naming, avoiding confusables, etc.
>   * Explain EAI, how it uses IDNs, how it builds on ASCII-only
>     addresses. EAI phase 1 vs phase 2.
> [...]

Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]
In partnership with AR-TARC and the Brazilian Association of Software Companies (ABES)