[UA-discuss] A question to Java experts

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Wed Dec 2 20:50:25 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I am seeking input from the community as we start to wrap up our
investigation on open-source software in Java and Python. I am copying
John L and Marc B, as I am aware they might have ideas on this matter,
but this is a call to all experts.

Question:

When we consider libraries *directly* related to UA within the Java
context, is it correct to say that these are the most relevant ones?

*icu4j, commons-validator, ***libidn (deprecated, for older software only)
**

Here we exclude considerations such as whether a popular set of
libraries like Guava can handle IDNs (which I think is usually handled
by the InternetDomainName class, which needs a ToASCII transformation
before it can process them properly. Marc B's tests show 14 working test
cases out of 18, but I dunno what under configuration).

If those are not the only very relevant libraries, what others should be
considered?

Best regards,

--
Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]