[UA-discuss] Good talk on i18n work at W3C, by Richard Ishida

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Mon Jun 8 19:48:13 UTC 2020

Hello, UA Colleagues:

You might be interested in reading or watching this presentation on
internationalization activities at the W3C, given by Richard Ishida to
their recent AC 2020 conference: <https://www.w3.org/2020/05/AC/talk/i18n>.

The W3C's Internationalization (i18n) Working Group has similarities to
our work in the UASG, in that there is a very broad ocean of problems to
address, and very few people to do it, and a need to communicate and
intervene wisely.  As I read Richard's presentation, I kept having three
thoughts:

 1. What can we in the UASG learn about methods and tools from what the
    W3C i18n group is doing well?
 2. Are we sure that the we have communicated to the W3C i18n group all
    of what we believe and recommend, so that the W3C i18n group can, if
    they agree with us, communicate our recommendations as part of their
    work?
 3. Are we in the UASG hearing the lessons learned by the W3C i18n group
    from their work?

Those are deep questions, and I don't expect rapid answers. However, I
think many on this list might find it interesting to read and or watch
Richard's presentation, and consider those questions.

Best regards,

      —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953