[UA-discuss] [UA-EAI] WhatWG issue regarding <input type="email"> is open (#4562)

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no
Wed Jun 10 07:53:54 UTC 2020

On Wednesday 10 June 2020 05:05:00 CEST, Andre Schappo wrote:

> Yes, you are right, it is the same problem except that with
> Unicode it is hugely more complicated.

I've written several EAI implementations and worked on several sites that
include signup pages, and... I haven't noticed any relevant complexity.
There's much irrelevant complexity, but in my experience, no relevant
complexity.

> One could, for instance, state
>
> ① A well formed EA consists of ascii characters but not any ascii characters
> ② A well formed EAI consists of unicode characters but not any
> unicode characters

So one could. But why would one?

The systems I've seen or worked on do basically a) check that the entered
string contains a single @ b) check that the part after @ is a domain that
exists today c) send a verification mail. I know systems that leave out
some of these steps, or that try to detect typos like gamil. But none
needed to care about unicode's complexity.

You're bikeshedding, dragging in irrelevant complexity, inventing problems.

> I doubt there is any email system that would allow me to
> register an EA with a space in the mailbox name eg "andre
> schappo at wherever.com"

One I've worked on definitely would allow that, I checked just now. It
might be unable to send you your verification email, but "our" system
simply accepted the user's input and tried to send email.

This isn't unusual, and it's often intentional. The CEO of that company
would probably say something like "what matters is whether customers pay,
not whether we have their email addresses".

Arnt