[UA-discuss] IDN treatment in Linkedin

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Sat Nov 21 20:57:10 UTC 2020

As far as UA deployment strategy is concerned,

India seems to be an outlier that can maybe be cited alongside Russia,
isolated success cases in the midst of a lot of otherwise difficult and
overly tentative relationships with governments. On the broader scheme
of things, government engagement is time-consuming and time-limited, as
every few years the people get shuffled and often progress on any given
agenda can be dragged back to point zero. This can be observed in the
GAC, in which, apart from some longstanding members, as much as 2/3 of
the group gets replaced every 3 or so years.

In other words, there is still has much more ROI to be gained from
investing in fixing code and educating developers so that solutions get
adopted by default in the future than there is in working with
governments. These platforms that are royalty right now will eventually
be replaced by others, as is always the case. When those get developed,
hopefully it will be done with UA-ready code.

Regards,

On 11/21/2020 15:41, Don Hollander wrote:
> And this, succinct answer from John, is true for every organisation.
>
> Which is why Dr Data's approach of generating demand through big customers
> like government is still correct.
>
> We have seen in India where he started with his local state and has moved to
> influence the entire nation of India.
>
> China is another effort.   Russia too.
>
> That was the local initiative strategy set out a couple of years ago.
>
> There have been some who have moved faster because it was the right thing to
> do - Microsoft for example.   Google was an early leader mostly so that
> their own IDN's would actually work.
>
> The 'Why Bother' question needs to be answered.
>
> Tough one to justify.
>
> I still hope that the UASG will be able to help seed some of the largest
> email software providers.

>>> John

--
Mark W. Datysgeld from Governance Primer [www.markwd.website]