[UA-discuss] IDN treatment in Linkedin

Dušan Stojičević dusan at dukes.in.rs
Sun Nov 22 19:53:15 UTC 2020

The challenge "how to escalate the bug" is very interesting and deep topic, regarding UA.
Many UA issues stay unsolved, because of similar thing> "they know there is a bug, but it's not high priority to fix".

In essence, Chaals is right - the bug's importance is in direct proportion with the number of annoyed users. But it means - those who are complaining about the same bug.
If they see small number of complaints - "nah, users will survive", because there is many other things to be fixed, making much larger number of users annoyed.
Today, we have a system "it's not a bug, it's a feature" - this LinkedIn UA bug was discovered years ago, and never corrected, and now it's like a feature for users.
Users are used to use this bugs as a feature because>
1. It's normal that majority of IDN users doesn't speak English language, necessary to make a complaint. In fact - IDNs have that goal - to make Internet available for non-English (non-Latin) users.
2. For such a user it is hard to recognize this kind of bug.
3. If they recognize as a bug, it's very rare that they have the desire to fill a complaint. Just to highlight> UA issues are not the kind of bugs which will make clients stop using that service.
4. If they somehow want to fill a complaint, it's hard to find the right place to do so and then - let us go back to item number 1 - English language.

Let me just say one example - simple copy from Google Chrome location bar, or Firefox, or Edge... will give you the sausage> https://xn--d1aholi.xn--90a3ac/o%D1%80%D0%B3%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0 wherever you paste this (in Facebook post, in tweet, in Linkedin post... or in this email).
In fact this is normal IDN link: https://рнидс.срб/организација

This is still the basic problem with IDNs - wrong representation in many places, which becomes a feature for IDN users.

Now - how to solve this?
1. To pay them? Not enough money in the UASG budget for all IDN issues there. And even if we have the money for that, there is easy money - if I am developer, I will break down IDN/UA option, waiting for money to fix them.
2. To fill the complaint on uasg.tech (option "log an issue")? UASG can try to contact the developer.
3. To encourage the community to fill separate complaints, one by one, in order to push the priority to fix for that issue higher? Maybe
4. To mix 2. And 3. is the most perfect solution.

Do you see the fifth, or more ways to solve this?

Cheers,
Dusan