[UA-discuss] Is multiple scripts allowed

Maxim Alzoba m.alzoba at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 10:05:58 UTC 2021

For ccTLDs it is up to the particular ccTLD (effectively it is an extension of the particular country jurisdiction).

Pre 2012 TLDs have very special contracts and bit different set of what the registry is allowed / not.

For new gTLDs (2012 round)
IDN related documentation + IDN tables and systems are
checked before the moment the registry starts real work (or when the backend is being changed).

 There is a kind of review of documentation + set of tests
and for IDNs there is some kind of a manual review in cases:

What code points in an IDN table need special considerations?
 • Code	points	with	Unicode	script	property	value	COMMON	or	INHERITED.
• Code	points	with	IDN	property	CONTEXTJ	or	CONTEXTO.
 • Right-to-left	code	points.
 • Code	points	with	general	Unicode	category	Modifier	Letter	or	Mark.
• Mixing	of	code	points	from	different	explicit	Unicode	scripts

Full set of backend testing docs could be found there
https://www.icann.org/resources/registry-system-testing/ <https://www.icann.org/resources/registry-system-testing/>

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,
FAITID

m. +7 916 6761580 (+telegram, +signal, -whatsapp)
skype oldfrogger

Current UTC offset: +3.00 (.Moscow)