[UA-discuss] email address in .family TLD rejected [was: Reddit thread]

Vittorio Bertola vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Fri Jul 30 09:41:11 UTC 2021

> Il 29/07/2021 22:42 John Levine via UA-discuss <ua-discuss at icann.org> ha scritto:
>
> Indeed, but there is little reason for people who run web sites to care.  As we know, the new TLDs
> have largely failed, and the largest ones are basically fashion accessories in China, where they
> are unlikely to be used for e-mail.  I can make an argument for IDN and EAI support in that it makes the
> net accessible to people who don't speak languages written in latin alphabets, but I cannot make
> a plausible argument about why they should care about the 1300 registrants of .hockey.

Last week a friend of mine couldn't fill a form on a governmental agency website because it would reject an email address in .info, so it's not just about the newer "vanity" gTLDs - there are still people out there rejecting the ones from 2001, including those with several million registrations.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy