[UA-discuss] email address in .family TLD rejected [was: Reddit thread]

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 30 11:51:40 UTC 2021

I wonder whether the problem is not a difficult technical issue, but just the insane and unnecessary assumptions that some programmers make.

One experience as user. A few years ago I was travelling in India, and had hard times in entering my mobile phone number in online forms. The issue was not the international country code, that was accepted, but the overall length of the phone number, that in India is one less than in Austria. Why on earth a country with a bit more than 8M inhabitants needs phone numbers that are longer than a country more than two orders of magnitude bigger is the wrong question, though - the right question is why, if the standard length of an international phone number is 15, some programmers limit that to 12?

One experience as programmer. A software that I was in charge for, developed in the late 70’s, started failing a few years later for no apparent reason. Debugging showed that there was a check that the date was lower than 1/1/1984, so that when the planning for 1984 started the dates were rejected. I connected that to the fact that the original programmer, whom I knew, was an Orwell fan.

Cheers,
Roberto