[UA-discuss] email address in .family TLD rejected [was: Reddit thread]

Hugo Salgado hsalgado at nic.cl
Fri Jul 30 16:33:58 UTC 2021

On 11:41 30/07, Vittorio Bertola via UA-discuss wrote:

> > Il 29/07/2021 22:42 John Levine via UA-discuss <ua-discuss at icann.org> ha scritto:
> >
> > Indeed, but there is little reason for people who run web sites to care.  As we know, the new TLDs
> > have largely failed, and the largest ones are basically fashion accessories in China, where they
> > are unlikely to be used for e-mail.  I can make an argument for IDN and EAI support in that it makes the
> > net accessible to people who don't speak languages written in latin alphabets, but I cannot make
> > a plausible argument about why they should care about the 1300 registrants of .hockey.
>
> Last week a friend of mine couldn't fill a form on a governmental agency website because it would reject an email address in .info, so it's not just about the newer "vanity" gTLDs - there are still people out there rejecting the ones from 2001, including those with several million registrations.

And some from 1987! Some time ago we detected sites that in their
registration forms, when indicating an email "hsalgado at nic.cl" it
throws a warning: "There is a problem, surely you did not mean
hsalgado at nic.ca?". I was able to trace the problem to an open source
javascript library that has something like 20 TLDs wired. The rest,
ignored. Luckily you can force and allow an email in .cl, but it is a
significant usability problem.

Hugo