[UA-discuss] Survey on future directions for Internationalization & Unicode Conference

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Mar 10 08:26:36 UTC 2022

Universal Acceptance colleagues:
[and two Unicode Consortium staff via bcc:]

I came into the Universal Acceptance Steering Group thanks to a brief
presentation on UA which someone made to the annual Internationalisation
and Unicode Conference (IUC, https://www.unicodeconference.org/) some
years ago. For the last few years, I have presented on Universal
Acceptance topics to the IUC. I believe there are common interests
between the IUC's people and topics, and the UASG's people and topics.
So far the actual overlap is rather narrow, as measured by people active
in both communities, but I see potential.

The Unicode Consortium staff are taking an opportunity to rethink the
future direction of the Internationalization and Unicode Conference.
They invited people on a Unicode mailing list to fill out surveys about
it. They are kindly allowing me to forward this invitation to the
UA-discuss list. If any of you are interested in the future direction of
the IUC, please feel free to follow the link and fill out the survey. It
is a chance for the Unicode folks to gather some data on how broad the
overlap with Universal Acceptance actually is.

N.B. there are actually two surveys, for two audiences. For most UA
people, I think the "Survey for those who have yet to attend
<https://forms.gle/xTbAppFG4jQqxzpm6>" is more appropriate.

On 2022-03-03 09:38, Member-Services (Acct) wrote:
> …Unicode staff and a small group of volunteers convened late last year
> and will continue meeting in the coming 60-90 days to create the
> future IUC.
>
> *REQUEST*
> The Unicode Consortium is always looking to improve its conference. We
> recognize IUC as a key opportunity each year for knowledge-sharing,
> community building, and evangelization and want your help to shape the
> future IUC. Please give us your input and ideas by EOD on [Wednesday,
> March 16th] in one of these brief questionnaires.
>
> (1) Survey for previous attendees <https://forms.gle/DWgrz8C7edrENKDe6>
> (2) Survey for those who have yet to attend
> <https://forms.gle/xTbAppFG4jQqxzpm6>
>
> *NEXT STEPS*
> Once we have additional community input and an update on our specific
> plan, we will share that information with the [Unicode] community via
> this [Unicode] list, our blog, and other channels. In the meantime,
> thanks for your time and ideas!
>
> Best regards,
> Toral

> Toral Cowieson
> Executive Director & COO
> Unicode, Inc.
> www.unicode.org
> Learn more about our Adopt-a-Character program!

In the meantime, if anyone would like more information about the IUC and
the fascinating community which attends it, I am happy to answer questions.

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt, software engineer, Vancouver, Canada