[UA-EAI] [Ext] RE: arabic1.arabic2 at arabic3.arabic4

Stuart Stuple stuartst at microsoft.com
Wed Apr 5 14:49:45 UTC 2017

For a large company, that might be problematic once EAIs are fully supported. Telling someone at Microsoft that they cannot have their email name in their preferred writing system could be seen as extremely disrespectful. Yet we are unlikely to want to have Microsoft (a trademark) localized into other writing systems and enforce matching of the domain name to the user's email name writing system.

It's also interesting (and important) to understand what restrictions are already enforced or implied on the display name. As I wrote the above paragraph, I realized that everyone who has a name using the Latin script with a character not in the English alphabet tends to use the "right" character in their email display name (so Martin's ü). But I've never seen any character outside of CP1252 (with the exception of one group alias with Emoji).

-Stuart