[UA-EAI] EAI Evaluation Widget

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no
Fri Dec 29 11:21:47 UTC 2017

Ayjay’s test isn’t accurate.

SMTP servers mostly reject things because the spam filter says that source does not look like a real mail sender. Ayjay’s test assumes that any rejection is due to a lack of SMTPUTF8 support, whereas real servers block 90-99% of mail due to being spam.

The test also doesn’t behave like a real mail sender so it’s likely to trigger spam filters, too.

Look in particular at this command:

> C:- mail from:<xn--11b7am1g.xn--41b5a5av9azf at xn--c2bd1gb.xn—h2brj9c>

This command does not test SMTPUTF8 (the word “SMTPUTF8” should have been at the end) and it conditions the server’s spam filter to learn that xn--11b7am1g.xn--41b5a5av9azf at xn--c2bd1gb.xn—h2brj9c is not a real mail sender (quite accurately). If the spam filter classifies mail senders by address, then it’ll learn that there’s nothing to be gained by letting mail from that address through, and it will block the test.

FWIW, my mail setup supports EAI all the way to my phone, and Ayjay’s test is wrong about it too. It says it supports punycode, when in fact none of the three EAI-aware programs do.

Arnt