[UA-EAI] HTML 5.2 and Internationalized Eamil Addresses

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Sun Jul 23 22:59:14 UTC 2017

Mark,

I may be excessively pessimistic, but my impression from what
I've seen is that only three forms of input to the relevant spec
writers are likely to have any effect... and I'm not sure about
and don't want to encourage the third);

(1) Major implementers of either web browsers or HTML validation
systems point out that their inability, or the inability of
others, to treat non-ASCII email addresses as email addresses is
a problem, or at least a significant annoyance.

(2) Strong indications from major supporters of W3C that this is
unacceptable and won't be tolerated any more, even if it means
voting with their support levels.

(3) Governments or other regulatory bodies explaining to W3C
that actions that do not validate non-ASCII addresses as
ordinary email addresses are sufficiently hostile to national
policies encouraging such addresses that they will seek ways to
ban use of W3C recommendations and products conforming to them
within the relevant countries or other sanctions against W3C and
its professional staff.

I hope I'm wrong.

    john

--On Sunday, July 23, 2017 22:14 +0000 Mark Svancarek