[UA-EAI] [Ext] EAI Working group Archives

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Nov 8 18:34:11 UTC 2017

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017, Mark Svancarek wrote:
> If the fonts aren't installed, you may see boxes.  That's system-specific and user-specific and app-specific.   I agree with you that it's pretty weak circa 2017.  You may be right that boxes have been completely eliminated at this point, but I am not sure sure.

At some point, you just lose.  If I send you Arabic text and you don't
have an Arabic font, unless you plan to do something heroic like send it
to a faraway rendering service that returns a png image, what are you
going to do?

> While true that local parts aren't U-LABELS, and that punycode isn't
> defined for use outside of U-LABELS, some email services do resort to
> using ACE-style conversion in the local part as a downgrading technique
> - I've received them.

That's on the sending end.  On the receiving end I don't see any point in
inventing faux punycode just for a differently ugly display.