[UA-EAI] some notes Re: EAI Reading Call

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no
Thu Apr 12 18:19:41 UTC 2018

On Thursday 12 April 2018 18:05:46 IST, Paul Borokhov wrote:
> What’s the alternative? «Mr. Hollander, did you say your
> address contains the letter z with a line over it? I’m sorry,
> I’m afraid I don’t even know how to type that on my keyboard».
> How would I explain to a Lufthansa representative that my email
> address is борохов@почта.рус?

Uh, if you dial Lufthansa customer service, someone in Moscow answers the
phone, Don's call is answered by someone in Auckland.

More generally, EAI is first and foremost for people who use computers and
are not friends with the latin alphabet. Such people are going to call or
write to Lufthansa's _local_ customer service, or customer service of
_local_ companies. In case of Russians, this means they will talk to people
who can spell the name борохов and also the email address
борохов@почта.рус.

This also means that Russians who aren't comfortable using A-Z have a
problem communicating with New Zealanders. So what? They have that problem
anyway, it's not a problem that an address format can solve.

Arnt