[UA-EAI] comments on uasg019b

John Levine john.levine at standcore.com
Fri Aug 3 16:04:55 UTC 2018

> slide 17, can we please either use characters for which there is a font or embed a font that supports these glyphs?

Yeah, that was left over from the old version.  Apparently those
characters rendered on someone's PC but they don't work on my Mac.  Can
you suggest some exotic looking characters that will display reliably on
the computers that are likely to run Powerpoint?

> slide 21: 	• includes words from English or other scripts → English is not a script, either say "English or other languages" or "Latin or other scripts”

Fixed to Latin

> slide 23: "Display headings and prompts in the user’s language”: what are prompts? what are headings? is this supposed to say “headers”?

This is the MUA.  Headings like "Folders" on the list of folders or
"Status" and "Date" on the list of messages.  Prompts like "Compress
folder now?"  I don't think those are obscure terms.

Whether to translate header field names like From: and Subject: when
displaying messages is a religious issue that I would prefer to stay away
from.

> slide 34: Codespace - Range that define the lower → *defines

The term isn't used anywhere in the slides so I took it out.

> Code Points - A code point or code position is any of the numerical
> values that make up the code space. They are used to distinguish both,
> the → remove the comma after both and the comma after bits.

Fixed.

> slide 35: .рф is an abbreviation for RF = Russian Federation. Not sure that saying .рф (Russia) is accurate.

It's the same registry as .ru, I think we're fine.

> IDN - Internationalized Domain Names. IDNs are domain names that include
> characters used in the local representation of languages → I’m not sure
> there is a need to say “the local representation”. I would say “that
> include characters typically used to write the language”. Note that one
> language can have multiple “local” representations.

> slide 37: UA-ready Software or UA-Readiness - Universal Acceptance Ready Software. It is a software → software is uncountable; drop the article.

Unscrambled.

> general: Vietnamese is a Latin-based language that many systems will gleefully choke on. I feel like it should get at least a passing mention here.

That seems kind of into the weeds here.  The number of ways that software
can screw up is unlimited.

R's,
John