[UA-EAI] EAI Example Messages

Michael Slusarz michael.slusarz at open-xchange.com
Mon Feb 19 20:33:42 UTC 2018

> On February 14, 2018 at 1:10 PM Don Hollander <don.hollander at icann.org> wrote:
>
> Do you (ie OpenXchange) or someone else within the EAI group have a set of tests that should be run and the expected results?
>
> For example:
>
> From ascii at idn.idn
>                To ascii at ascii.ascii hosted by an EAI Ready mail system
>                To ascii at ascii.ascii hosted by a non-EAI ready mail system
>
> Expected results:
>                Name displays properly
>                Something else?

Neither I (nor my employer) has a test suite that incorporates EAI testing specifically.

A general purpose test methodology may be difficult to establish in practice.  E.g. something like an LMTP server may not need to test much around EAI specifically at all - it's more of a general exercise in accepting UTF-8 characters where they may have been forbidden previously and/or parsing an EAI address into mailbox and domain components, but may have no desire in verifying those parts.  So a "successful" test for this software may look much different than a "successful" test for client software that is creating RFC complaint mail messages interacting with an SMTP relay.  And that SMTP server will have different (+ more numerous and broad) tests.

I think the approach of 1) providing examples of well-formed messages and 2) documentation/guidelines on how the system is expected to work end-to-end is the correct path.  However, I worry that pushing a specific testing agenda or procedure is not proper; we can give tools to help spur testing, but ultimately it is the software author(s) responsibility to adapt the available tools into their product.

michael