[UA-EAI] UASG014 - Quick Guide to EAI

Mark Svancarek marksv at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 17 19:31:53 UTC 2018

UPDATE FROM UASG HK / GZ MEETINGS

After many discussions about downgrading, we have decided that the official UASG stance must be to support only aliasing of one's own mailboxes (user can elect to provide an address for auto-alias; webmail providers can auto-alias their own mailboxes when SMTPUTF8 isn't advertised; etc.).

Any other mechanism is outside of UASG recommended practice, as well as IETF recommended practice.  If your SW or service uses any other mechanism or transformation, that is between you and your customers. It will never be endorsed by UASG, and quite likely will be disavowed.

As such, I prefer that we not continue to propose them or discuss such mechanisms on the discussion group.  In fact, I think we should update the code of conduct to reflect this approach, as we would for any other unproductive line of discussion.

I might just start shouting down these discussions whenever they pop up.  That would be terribly rude, I think.

Help me not to be terribly rude.  Please don't discuss downgrading* techniques on the mailing list!

/marksv

*Not everyone agrees that "auto-aliasing" is even a form of "downgrading".  But if you do, I request that you call it "auto-aliasing" or some other term just to help us keep the disctinction between what UASG supports (auto-aliasing) and what UASG doesn't support (everything else) distinct.