[UA-EAI] EAI address management

Arnt Gulbrandsen arnt at gulbrandsen.priv.no
Mon Apr 29 07:29:15 UTC 2019

On Monday 29 April 2019 04:15:36 CEST, Paul Borokhov via UA-EAI wrote:
> I suspect anyone who’s fluent in any Nordic language would
> strongly disagree with this guidance, which is what Asmus is
> hinting at.

I am fluent, and I don't strongly disagree with the guidance.

It's not marvellously good, but it's not terrible either. Committee stuff.
For example ø conventionally maps to oe, not o, but that's hardly a mistake
worth getting excited about. Minor enough that the (very capable) .no TLD
authority requires domain registrants to do the same, while acknowledging
that it is unfortunate.

Now, accepting mail fuzzily may be a bad idea, or a good idea, but if you
disregard that general question, then the application to the Nordic letters
isn't awful from a native-speaker perspective.

The advice can be applied for other purposes where it's neutral or even a
very minor feature. Recipient completion in a UI.

Arnt