[UA-EAI] listserv question

Michael Casadevall michael at casadevall.pro
Thu Jul 25 18:50:00 UTC 2019

I'm honestly not sure without a more through examination of the source
code. Mailman historically had problems with UTF-8 email. A second look
at the source code shows that the codebase has specific handling for
various codepage emails; from Mailmain/Defaults.py.in:

add_language('he',    _('Hebrew'),              'utf-8',       'rtl')
add_language('hr',    _('Croatian'),            'iso-8859-2',  'ltr')
add_language('hu',    _('Hungarian'),           'iso-8859-2',  'ltr')
add_language('ia',    _('Interlingua'),         'iso-8859-15', 'ltr')
add_language('it',    _('Italian'),             'iso-8859-1',  'ltr')
add_language('ja',    _('Japanese'),            'euc-jp',      'ltr')
add_language('ko',    _('Korean'),              'euc-kr',      'ltr')

The version of Mailman shipped by Ubuntu and Debian have a local patch
to better support UTF-8 out of the box for email content. This patch is
not in the upstream code as far as I know (in the Debian sources, its in
debian/patches/91_utf8.patch).

I don't know what, if any research, has been done in determining the
codepage/MIME settings of email clients to see if they're sending UTF-8
emails are not. I know on USENET/NetNews/NNTP (which shares many of the
same characteristics as standard email), iso-2022-jp is still very
common on Japanese newsgroups. I took a closer look at my sent emails,
and the initial reply to this email I sent has an encoding of "en-US",
which suggests it was sending ASCII/7-bit email and not UTF-8. That
might change if I used non-ASCII characters.

To clarify a point, listserv is here is the underlying technology of
creating a mailing list (the name comes from the LISTSERV software used
on CSNET (before the Internet). The implementation we're using for this
list and all ICANN lists is GNU mailman. It shoudld be noted that
LISTSERV still exists as a commerical product
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LISTSERV).

The fundamental technology of a mailing list is at least theoretically
UA-agonistic, but because it send emails on behalf of other others, it
is possible for said emails to go fail because they're being sent to
users who don't support EAI/IDNs. For example, Ubuntu 18.04 ships
Thunderbird 60 (and what I'm using); while it understands EAIs, it
throws an error if I try to reply to them saying EAI email addresses are
unsupported.

For a listserv/Mailman to work properly with EAIs, the following must
all be true.
 * The listserv must use a mailserver that supports EAI/IDNs
 * The software itself must support SMTPUTF8, and IDN encoding
 * The backend storage must handle UTF-8 (or another unicode encoding
correctly)
 * Emails should be normalized from codepage encoding to Unicode.
 * All users of said mailing list must be at least EAI Phase 1 compliant.

As such, the issue of UA in regards to mailing lists is "it varies, and
everyone must be on the same page).
Michael