[UA-EAI] Homework for next meeting - Item #7

Mark Svancarek (CELA) marksv at microsoft.com
Fri Nov 22 22:39:19 UTC 2019

Sarmad and Pitinan will have the meeting notes and recording posted to our WG site soon, but I wanted to get my work items out to the team before I depart for Internet Governance Forum (IGF2019) tomorrow.

In our last meeting, we decided that we should work on #7 as a working group, rather than hiring someone else to do it. It will be fun!  As a reminder, #7 reads:

“Review, update and develop technical best practices and standards for the security and usability of EAI (e.g. dealing with homographs, script mixing, variant characters, right-to-left scripts, etc.)”

But we have already decided that our WG will just work on the portions needed by mail admins when creating local-parts (also called “mailbox names”).

To get ready for a quick start next meeting, please read or skim the following documents from the Developers site < https://uasg.tech/information/developers/ >.
I am sorry that some are only available in English:

Quick Guide to Email Address Internationalization (EAI)<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG014-en-digital.pdf>

UASG 014 An introduction to EAI (Email Address Internationalization), and items for email software developers and email service providers to consider.

English<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG014-en-digital.pdf>

This document is short, please review the whole thing.

(EAI): A Technical Overview<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG012-en-digital.pdf>

UASG 012 Email Address Internationalization (EAI): A Technical Overview.

English<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG012-en-digital.pdf> | Pусский<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG012-ru-digital.pdf>

In this document, I recommend reviewing:

                                             “Mail Addresses” (page 10)

                                             “Internationalized Domain Names” (pages 10-12)

                                             “Recognizing EAI messages” (page 14)

                                             “Technical Topics” (pages 15-16)

                                             “Address Books” (page 16)

                                             “MTAs and Incoming” (page 18)
                              “Backward Compatibility” (pages 24-28)
                              “Mail authentication and Spam filters” (pages 28-30)

Introduction to Universal Acceptance<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-en-digital.pdf>

UASG 007 An overview of the baseline concepts of Universal Acceptance and an introduction to advanced topics such as right-to-left scripts, the Bidi algorithm and Normalization.

English<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-en-digital.pdf> | Español<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-es-digital.pdf> | Français<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-fr-digital.pdf> | عربى<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-ar-digital.pdf> | 中文<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-zh-digital.pdf> | Pусский<https://uasg.tech/wp-content/uploads/documents/UASG007-ru-digital.pdf>

In this document, I recommend reviewing:
“Advanced Topics” (pages 25-30).

/marksv