[UA-EAI] WhatWG issue regarding <input type="email"> is open (#4562)

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Tue Jun 9 11:24:07 UTC 2020

Having unconstrained EAI (ie any unicode character) would not work as has been discussed many times.

So, one possible way forward is to allow constraints to be specified in the html so that reasonable first level validation then becomes possible.

I offer 2 examples of constraining:

① It is a long long time since I registered an IDN but at that time one needed to select the language of the domain name one was registering. Thus one has a mechanism for constraining validation of such a domain name.

② One of my internationalised programming challenges constrains registration of the mailbox name https://jsfiddle.net/coas/2uLhcfef

So, first thoughts for a constraint is something like: <input lang="ko" type="eaimail">

André Schappo