[UA-EAI] Using search engine translators on unfamiliar email addresses

Mark Svancarek (CELA) marksv at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 25 02:09:24 UTC 2020

We encountered the recurring question on ALAC call today – what if I receive an email address in a script I don’t read?

  *   Abdalmonen mentioned using aliases and changing display names
  *   I mentioned that this is an edge case – why would I send Slovak email to a non-Slovak reader? EAI is most useful for people who want to communicate with someone who uses their own script, particularly if that person doesn’t regularly use ASCII.
  *   And of course you can exchenge contact info in advance.

Then someone from the audience said, ”Use Google Translator”.  Naturally, I would use Bing Translator instead.  Anyway, we can add that to our list of workarounds 😊

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D64A5A.F75C1F10]