[UA-EAI] WG discussions on EAI Support Self-Certification

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Sat Nov 21 08:56:27 UTC 2020

EAI colleagues:

Last meeting, we were talking about EAI Support Self-Certification. We
were trying to figure out how to describe levels of EAI support, and how
to group and frame the choices.

I just re-read this ua-eai list thread from late October. I think it's
worth everyone looking at it again, in light of our discussion.
Particularly this message from John Levine: "Re: [UA-EAI] [Ext] RE: EAI
support in email tools and services" on 28 Oct 2020 14:37:27 -0400
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-eai/2020-October/001143.html
<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-eai/2020-October/001143.html>>.

>> That's a great idea, The report must have that clearly mentioned
>> which email solution is Fully EAI ready and which is Partly and which
>> is not EAI ready at all
>
> It's not that simple, because few of these products try to be "solutions".
>
> For example, Postfix and Exim do a good job as MSA and MTA, but for a
> full mail system you need an MDA, perhaps a webmail (Roundcube might
> do it) and MUAs for your users. The only MDA we've tested that has
> working EAI features is Courier, but it hardly matters since there are
> no MUAs we've found that would use those features.
>
> None of the products we tested pass every test, but some work well
> enough if you limit what you do. Coremail works well for EAI if you
> use their web mail and their Chinese domains, but their Lunkr MUA app
> and their IMAP or POP servers don't do EAI well at all. Gmail and the
> Microsoft webmail products are good L1 EAI tools, but again their POP
> and IMAP don't have EAI features so they don't work well for EAI with
> an external MUA.
>
> As I said before, I could add a column that somehow combined the
> scores from other columns, but I think that would be more likely to
> confuse people than to be helpful.

But the whole thread is interesting.

--
.   --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953