[UA-EAI] [UA-discuss] UASG blog on UASG030A report

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Aug 17 02:20:31 UTC 2021

EAI WG:

I thought this exchange on the UA-discuss list was interesting, and
could help us improve our "Self-Certification of EAI Support guide.

On 2021-08-14 08:54, John Levine via UA-discuss wrote:
> No, the report is correct.
>
> Roundcube and Apple iOS Mail are MUAs, user mail programs that work in
> connection with MSAs and MDAs.  When configured to work with an L2
> mail server such as Courier or Postfix, they both provide good L2 mail
> service.… Postfix is an MSA and MTA which also provides good L2 mail
> service when configured with EAI addresses.…

[Emails abbreviated by DeLaHunt. Archive at
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/ua-discuss/2021-August/003988.html .]

I think Mike Hemp's objection is understandable, based on one
understanding of what the levels mean. But we want readers of the Guide
to have a different understanding. I think we should take care that the
Guide makes the understanding clear to readers. We should check it using
John's reply.

Only certain email tools and utilities actually host email mailboxes and
define addresses. Other tools process messages, or serve as a UI, but do
not host mailboxes. Users will want a complete system, of multiple
parts, which together support globally inclusive (EAI) mailboxes and
addresses, process messages, show a UI, and work well together. The
Email Utilities Guide can be used to self-certify any of these tools and
utilities individually. It must be clear how to combine certifications
of individual parts into confidence that the system will work.

Mike is pointing out that components like Apple iOS Mail app and
Roundcube do not host email addresses. John is pointing out that they
are not designed to. Mike takes the definition of Level 2 to apply only
to the component actually hosts an email address. What I read implicit
in John's reply is that a component can be certified as ready (or not
ready) to work as part of a system which hosts globally inclusive email
addresses, even if that component does not itself host the email address.

I think we should take care that the Guide has a section where the
reader can figure out how to evaluate the rating of a system from the
rating of its components. Perhaps the rule will be that a Gold-level MUA
is required in order to combine with a Gold-level mail server and
produce a Gold-level system. But the Guide should make the rule for
systems clear.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt