[UA-EAI] Self-certification guide item: transcribing foreign-script email addreses

Martin J. Dürst duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Aug 17 03:47:59 UTC 2021

Hello John, Jim, others,

On 2021-08-17 11:46, John Levine via UA-EAI wrote:

> For what we might call phishing safety, is this message what it seems to
> be, the contents are more important than the author's address.  If you
> can't read the address, you're not going to be able to tell very much
> about the author.  If transliteration is even possible, which it isn't
> from languages like Chinese or Japanese, I still don't see how that
> would help if you don't know the author.

Agree that transliteration may not be the best idea.

But for Chinese or Japanese, you would just have to swap transcription
for transliteration (for those who are not sure about the difference
between transliteration and transcription, please see e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration), and for Japanese, you
would in addition need some software that uses context to derive
readings (complicated, but more or less available off shelf).

Regards,   Martin.