[UA-EAI] What problem does this solve: transcribing foreign-script email addreses

Asmus Freytag (c) asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 17 22:42:01 UTC 2021

On 8/17/2021 2:31 PM, John Levine wrote:
> I still have no idea what problem people are trying to solve here.
> Apparently you get a message that you can read, but the address is in
> Chinese or something that you cannot read, and there is no clue in the
> message itself who it is from, but if you just had the phonetic pinyin
> for the Chinese address, all would be revealed. That doesn't seem very
> plausible.

It's very simple. The sender's name is one of the elements you use to
manage your mail collection.

You use it to scan the list of headers to find what you want, if. You
use it to search (and you usually don't have to cut&paste to be able to
do a search). You type the from name (or part of it) when you want to
send a message that's not a reply. And so on.

All of these tasks become more difficult if you can neither pronounce
nor type a name. Adding a transcription to the friendly name enables
this without requiring the sender to maintain an account with a
"non-native" user name.

A./