[UA-EAI] Help with wording, please

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Thu Aug 26 01:17:44 UTC 2021

EAI WG Colleagues:

When reviewing the EAI Readiness Self-Certification Guide, we got stuck
on some wording. Can the people on the list help us find better wording?

The Guide is at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PopXtNog8nJzdpYQcl1JMyIH2gNYJ4_r/edit#
. In the section, "Self-Certification of EAI Support of Email Utilities
and Tools", in the table, row 3, it reads, "Product supports mailbox
names spelled with UTF-8 characters".

“supports” is too vague. Maybe we should break this row into separate
verb/rows, such as accept,/stores/displays/processes/ validates, where
applicable?

The verb "spelled with" seems incorrect. Maybe it should say,
"consisting of UTF8-encoded characters"?

The products in question are /not/ email UIs and mail servers and
senders/receivers. We are concerned with other email-related but
non-email tools, such as anti-spam filters, calendars, contact managers,
applications which use email addresses as identifiers, etc.

What we are trying to say is that it is not acceptable to limit email
address mailbox parts to ASCII only. The product must accept and work
with email addresses which have UTF-8 characters in the mailbox part.
(We don't care about mailbox parts which are in non-Unicode character
sets beyond UTF-8 and ASCII.)

We are having a terrible time finding the right wording. Can you help?

Thank you,
      —Jim DeLaHunt