[UA-EAI] [EXTERNAL] Re: header fields inherit from the Operating System for Sinhala [was: Re: UA EAI Meeting Notes 02 August 2022]

harsha wijayawardhana wijayawardhana at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:13:01 UTC 2022

Dear Mark, Arnt, and Jim,
I also agree with Mark and you, Arnt.
I have to give you a status report on how Sinhala is fairing on the
Internet. As I said earlier, Sinhala renders very well on Social Media
(except for Facebook, where Rakar, Yansa, and Reph forms break) and on the
Web. Emails in Sinhala worked well when I checked by sending Sinhala emails
between two senders and receivers through Gmail using multiple digital
devices. Sinhala in the email subject field and body renders beautifully.
As I said earlier, text content on the header fields worked fine, and I can
send the Print Screens as proof. What I was trying to check was whether
UTF-8 content of header fields inherits or uses UTF-8 encoding from OS or
Mail applications. As I mentioned in my previous email, I understood that
RFC 6532 talks about net-UTF-8, and it talks about the User visibility of
UTF-8 content in the Header fields of an email.
The second issue I raised has nothing to do with RFC 6532. It is important
that network tools such as PING, and TRACERT work in the window's shell or
command line. It does not have to be Windows 10, but it can be a shell of
any operating system. I realized the importance since I'm in the process of
setting up Email Servers to send and receive Sinhala ccTLD Domain, etc. As
I said, in the Windows 10 console, Sinhala does not render at all due to
the lack of Sinhala font. To install a Sinhala font, I have to go to
Windows Registry and make an entry. I'm in the process of doing it now and
will revert to you the outcome.
However, I found several issues with Thunderbird and MS Outlook mail
clients trying to create an email account. ICANN had also reported the same
in your UA readiness report when I checked last night, which you shared at
yesterday's meeting.
I hope that this will provide the exact status of Sinhala on the Internet.
Let us have further discussion on this topic.

Thank you and Best Regards
Harsha