[UA-EAI] UA Self-certification guide "<Email> Use Cases" notation

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Tue Dec 20 17:37:31 UTC 2022

EAI Colleagues:

Thank you for a good working group meeting today, reviewing the *EAI
Readiness Self-Certification Guide*. During the discussion, I became
interested in the notation "<Email> Use Cases", which occurs in 10
places in the Guide.

I think I tracked this notation down to the UASG21 work, /Email Address
Internationalization (EAI): Evaluation of Major Email Software and
Services/,
<https://uasg.tech/download/uasg-021a-eai-evaluation-of-major-email-software-and-services-part-1-en/>,
from 2018. Specifically, it occurs in the test cases spreadsheet,
UASG021A.xlsx. That spreadsheet has a tab, "<email> use cases". The tab
contains a list of email addresses, most with non-ASCII parts, to be
used in tests. See also John Levine's very useful *Eaitesttools* at
<https://github.com/jrlevine/eaitesttools>.

So, I think the notation "<Email> Use Cases" means, the email addresses
to use in tests.

We now have UASG004, /Test Cases for UA Readiness Evaluation EN/
<https://uasg.tech/download/uasg-004-use-cases-for-ua-readiness-evaluation-en/>,
as a source of addresses to use in tests.

I proposed changes to the Guide in all 10 places where it used the
notation "<Email> Use Cases". This typically was a change in the
Description from wording like "This test case excludes <Email> Use Cases
with a non-ASCII local part" to wording like "When testing this, use
only email addresses with ASCII-only local parts". Those proposed
changes are annotated in the Guide draft, ready for review at our next
meeting.

Happy solstice and holidays, everyone! See you in 2023 (as defined by
ISO 8601). Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

--
.   --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)