[UA-EAI] Is UA-EAI meeting on 15. Feb 2022 cancelled? [was: Canceled: UA EAI WG Meetings - Tuesdays at 1530 UTC]

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed Feb 16 02:15:13 UTC 2022

Hello, Seda:

On 2022-02-15 01:08, Seda Akbulut wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> We will have a meeting today, on 15 Feb at 1530 UTC.

I am disappointed to have missed the meeting. My apologies.

> It is not cancelled.  Did you not receive any other invite replacing
> this cancellation?

I receive several messages containing calendar notifications. It is
difficult for me to make sense of them, since they same to either repeat
what we already know about normal meetings, or to contradict what we
normally know. It is difficult for me to combine these notifications in
my head, and understand what is happening and what is cancelled.

> I can resend it but you can check the calendar or mails first.

I am pretty sure that there are no notifications caught in my spam traps.

There is no software connection from my email stream to my calendar.
When a calendar notification arrives, I read it as a human being, and
try to understand its meaning. As I have said before, this is difficult.
I interpret this difficulty as a combination of the sending calendar
program being bad at generating a clear message, and my email client
being bad at displaying the contents of a received calendar notification.

I am guessing that some people use a combined email and calendar
application. The application reads the calendar notifications and makes
changes to the calendar. The human doesn't need to read the
notification. That is not the system which I have.

> It happened to some other people but they could locate the invite for
> recurring meeting. Let me know if you cannot find anything.

Well, I received:

 1. A notification for UA EAI WG meetings every Tuesday, sent Wed, 9 Feb
    2022 14:45:11 +0000.
 2. A notification cancelling UA EAI WG meetings every Tuesday, sent
    Mon, 14 Feb 2022 07:19:29 +0000.

I combine them in my head and… I get confused.

What would help is if every calendar notification email had a brief
human-readable explanation of what is changing. e.g. "Restating the
existing meeting schedule", "cancelling just the occurrence on 22.
February", "moving to a different time, but remaining on Tuesdays",
"moving to a new Zoom meeting number, but keeping the meeting times".

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt

--
.   --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       2201-1000 Beach Ave, Vancouver BC V6E 4M2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953