[UA-EAI] Stackoverflow and ChatGPT

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 2 18:44:02 UTC 2023

On 2/2/2023 2:24 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is precisely why ChaptGTP is banned on Stack Overflow. The ban
> announcement says “its answers are frequently bad but look plausible”
> or words to that effect.

Arnt,

yes, I was aware of that. But plausibility is not the only metric we use
when we make decisions whether to rely on advice by human experts. While
none are perfect, they are still pretty decent heuristics. (see comment
added below).

A./

> Arnt
>
> *From: *UA-EAI <ua-eai-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Asmus Freytag
> via UA-EAI <ua-eai at icann.org>
> *Reply to: *Asmus Freytag <asmusf at ix.netcom.com>
> *Date: *Thursday, 2 February 2023 at 02:05
> *To: *"ua-eai at icann.org" <ua-eai at icann.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [UA-EAI] Stackoverflow and ChatGPT
>
> Marc,
>
> you've identified two of the main problems with AI based answers. One,
> the impossibility to fix misperceptions embedded in the training data.
> The other, the difficulty for a human user to "rate" the level of
> expertise behind an AI generated answer. You can't use plausibility,
> because all AI generated answers are plausible. You can't use other
> "tells" of inexperience, because the AI generated texts don't have
> them. And you can't "rate" the AI like you can human experts; nor can
> you rate the true experts that it plagiarizes.

What is meant is that with human experts you can look at their track
record and form some qualified opinion about what level and type of
expertise to expect. Part of that depends on associating individuals
with a specialization. The AI is not specialized in a knowledge domain
and one result doesn't predict the next.