[UA-EAI] [EXTERNAL] Re: [UA-Tech] A request concerning entering domain names

Mark Svancarek (CELA) marksv at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 10 22:53:16 UTC 2023

Just clarifying the Cyrillic @ problem – I have the Serbian Cyrillic language pack installed on my personal Windows 10 for some reason, and the soft keyboard does offer @
[cid:image001.png at 01D9FB91.DFDCF5D0]

From: UA-EAI <ua-eai-bounces at icann.org> On Behalf Of ????? ?????????? via UA-EAI
Sent: Monday, September 25, 2023 4:31 PM
To: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt.gulbrandsen at icann.org>
Cc: ua-tech at icann.org; ua-eai at icann.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [UA-EAI] [UA-Tech] A request concerning entering domain names

Dear Arnt,

Thanks for dealing with that problem, which I was highlighting since the beginning of UASG.
Armenian and Arabic, to the best of my knowledge, are with same "dot" problem, while Cyrillic (in any form) doesn't have "dot" but "at" problem: (regarding EAI) there's no @ in Cyrillic at all (speaking of Windows OS, while on Macs things may be different).

Regards,
Dušan

19. 9. 2023. 16:21, Arnt Gulbrandsen via UA-Tech <ua-tech at icann.org<mailto:ua-tech at icann.org>> је написао/ла:

Hi,

When I enter a domain name such as icann.org, I just press nine keys in sequence, i, c and so on. Five keys for icann, then one for the dot, then three for org.

When a Chinese user enters a Chinese domain in a similarly simple way, the result may be 星巴克。商标, while the correct result would be 星巴克.商标 (note the different dots). Entering the correct domain requires entering 星巴克, changing keyboard layout to get latin letters, entering the ASCII dot, changing keyboard layout back, then entering 商标. Bothersome. You will not be surprised to learn that forgetting to switch layout is a common mistake.

I’d like to know which other locales have a similar problem, and for that I want to ask a favour.

There are many people here who use different keyboard input methods. If your keyboard input method has a similar problem, can you send me the dot and an example domain (which does not need to exist, something like example.yourtld would do)? Offlist please. That is to arnt.gulbrandsen at icann.org<mailto:arnt.gulbrandsen at icann.org>.

If a keyboard method uses non-latin letters but includes the ASCII full stop, I’m interested in that too. Always heartening to know when something is not buggy.

--

Arnt Gulbrandsen

UA Technology Sr. Manager, ICANN

+32 492 374706