[UA-EAI] A request concerning entering domain names

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Mon Sep 25 23:14:57 UTC 2023

Arnt:

Jiankang's excellent reply brought up an insight which you might find
helpful: I think your question assumes the use of a relatively simple
functional keyboard layout[1], where each press of a key on a keyboard
delivers a character to the application. (This simple model is made a
little more complex by shift keys[2], dead keys[3] for adding accents,
modes, etc.) Basically, it is the concept of a mechanical typewriter
translated into software. A key press triggers a character, with little
state or intermediate computation or UI.

However, for many languages, including Chinese and Japanese, it is
typical to use an input method editor[4]. This is an arbitrarily complex
piece of software, which receives one more many key presses, combines it
with state such as dictionaries of character pronunciations or recent
user input, and delivers multiple characters to the application at once.

Google's GBoard keyboard on Android devices, and Apple's keyboard for
iOS devices, have some degree of word prediction and spelling
correction. In that respect they partly use the input method editor
model in addition to the functional keyboard layout model.

By the way, there are other models of text entry. A chorded keyboard[5]
is a third model. It lets the user press multiple keys at once, and
reads the set of keys pressed at the moment the user releases the keys.
It basically ignores the action of the user pressing keys. This is in
contrast to conventional keyboards, which read the keys at the moment
the users presses them.

You write:

> Entering the correct domain requires entering 星巴克, changing keyboard
> layout to get latin letters, entering the ASCII dot, changing keyboard
> layout back, then entering 商标. Bothersome. You will not be surprised
> to learn that forgetting to switch layout is a common mistake.

That very model of pressing keys to "enter" characters, pressing keys to
change keyboard layout (i.e. mode) , and pressing keyboard to get a dot,
is framed by the functional keyboard layout model. In an input method
editor model, it would be completely normal to expect the editor to
accept user input of "星巴克。商标" (with a Chinese dot) and, if the context
demands it, deliver the corrected text of "星巴克.商标" (with an ASCII dot),
to the application. In other words, it is reasonable for the user to not
do the mode change, and to expect an editor to deliver characters as if
the mode did change.

So, to get useful answers to your question, you might want to focus on
languages and systems which use a functional keyboard layout, because
languages and systems which use input method editors might not
experience the obstacle which interests you.

Best regards,

     —Jim DeLaHunt

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Functional_layouts>
[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Shift_key>