[vip] Educational session on existing variant practices

Vladimir Shadrunov vlad.london.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 09:07:13 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew and thanks for your comment.

I perfectly understand your points. However, I heard a number of times that
DNAME or some other xNAME may be part of the solution for the problem we are
trying to define. There may be members of this group who do not know well
what DNAME is and I think a 5-10 minute presentation may fill this gap.

With regards to the work of IETF there are RFCs that consider variants and
string similarity, at least for Chinese and Cyrillic scripts. I believe this
is very relevant to the work of this group and as these are finished work
products I believe it may be useful for the group to learn if the variant
issues were defined and dealt with in these RFCs.

Best regards,
Vladimir Shadrunov