[vip] Educational session on existing variant practices

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Jul 25 20:59:27 UTC 2011

At 09:40 25/07/2011, Andrzej Bartosiewicz wrote:

>Sure. I will cover that...

Dear Andrzeij,

I am not sure this introduction covers the IDNA2008 context? We reach
the IDNA2008 consensus due to the RFC 5895 draft, that was further on
published for information only as it exemplifies one of the many
possible ways to address many different real life problems including
mapping, variants, etc. Also, you seem to consider variants only in
the TLD and domain name context (without indicating the DNS options).
However the problem also affects many other Internet protocols. The
WG/PRECIS is chartered to help a solution to replace stringprep in
these protocols.

Don't you think it would be advisable to present all these issues
together? This might help a lot? RFC 1958 states: "If there are
several ways of doing the same thing, choose one. If a previous
design, in the Internet context or elsewhere, has successfully solved
the same problem, choose the same solution unless there is a good
technical reason not to.  Duplication of the same protocol
functionality should be avoided as far as possible, without of course
using this argument to reject improvements." So, whatever the
technical solution, is there is one, should be the same.

Or do you think the variant/homograph problem should only be
addressed as a general digital ecosystem scripting issue outside of
the Internet context ? An Unicode extension as a script table able to
cleanly support any entry without any risk of variant and homograph
problem because it would be a graphcode only based upon the geometric
graphic form. This would be really sympathetic to me as I think this
is the only solution on the long range and that ccTLDs could easily
contribute in sending a copy of every symbol they accept in a given
script, based upon a common fount. I suppose people like ABBY could also help?

This field is very wide, isn't it? Lot of consideration ahead, I am afraid.
jfc